Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Education For All

One of the strongest aspects of our community is how much we give to and promote education. Quite honestly, I can’t think of any other that puts such a high value on education as does our community of leatherfolk, kinksters, and fetishists. That we so openly share knowledge and experiences, both laterally and inter-generationally goes a long way toward ensuring we play safe and that the legacy of who and what we are continues. That we have such a huge of wealth of knowledge so willingly shared is one of our greatest gifts to each other.

Why, then, do we run into situations where access to educational opportunities are not made accessible to all who want to avail themselves of what’s being offered?

Before I go any further, let me be clear that I’m not targeting any one particular event or hosting organization or individual. This is in regards to something that happens throughout our community. Let me also be clear that this isn’t about dedicated play spaces. That is an entire discussion unto itself. This is strictly about opening educational opportunities to all.

It troubles me when educational opportunities are not made equally available to all at events and activities that invite mixed attendance, particularly in regards to sexual orientation and, more often, gender identification. It strikes me that such exclusion is a serious disservice to our overall community. It runs the risk of turning away those who feel excluded, people who have their own wealth of knowledge to share or whose willingness to learn would greatly enhance the community overall. Such exclusion runs diametrically contrary to the oft-promoted message that the community is a place for all to explore and to learn.

I’ve learned a lot over the years I’ve been in the community. I’m proud to say that the abundance of knowledge I’ve gained has come from a diverse spectrum of teachers and mentors. In fact, I think that having that diversity has strengthened all I’ve learned. It’s taught me things I need to know that apply universally, and things I need to know that are more situational. It’s made me more keenly aware of differences and specifics that I need to know to make my social interactions more respectful and productive – and my play safer and more enjoyable for all. The intrinsic value of the knowledge shared wasn’t defined by how we identify sexually or according to gender. I’m fairly certain I’m not alone in saying these things.


Likewise, from the point of view of sharing what I know and have learned, I want to be able to do that with all who are interested. We’re all supposed to be part of one overall community, and it feels wrong if I can’t present or teach according to that. It feels like the possibilities that arise from a sharing of knowledge are stunted if we restrict access to it.

Yes, I know I can pick and choose when and where to present or attend educational forums. Quite honestly, however, it feels like that’s a tacit condoning of unnecessary exclusion. I take great pride to be part of a community that encompasses the diversity that ours does. I feel extremely blessed to count among my friends and chosen family people of a wide variety of sexual, racial, and gender identifications. Knowing that some of them could be excluded from something I’m presenting or want to attend for my own education feels wrong.

I don’t know what the answer to this is other than further constructive conversation, to increase awareness and sensitivity to the question. However, I’m willing to be part of that conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment