Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Something to Talk About


Even though I’ve recently mentioned a lot here about change and transition for myself as a leatherman, still I find myself being surprised by little moments here and there.  I mean, for the most part, I don’t dwell on it; in the back of my mind is an awareness that these changes are happening and that the process is ongoing.  Maybe once in awhile a comment or two will be made that brings it to the fore.

I’ve never hid the fact that I want to, someday, take on a pup of my own.  I’ve experienced the handler side of things and know that it feels both natural and fulfilling.  And I’ve been able to quickly realize that having a pup means I’m in any way less of a pup myself.  If anything, it would reinforce my empathy and understanding.

But there’s been something else going along with it that I only rarely mention – and last night really stated to Ken for the first time: that I’m open to the possibility of taking on a boy. 

It’s somehow odd to be saying that and not feel uncomfortable any more.  Maybe because it’s not so much recognizing another part of myself emerging, but getting a clearer idea of something I already know is there.
 
With Ken, though, this has been putting the possibility on the table –and finding that not only did he kind of expect it, but that he actually supports the idea. So now it goes from me thinking about it to now talking with my husband about it, to see where we can take it together.

I find myself looking forward to those conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment