Friday, November 1, 2013

A Letter to Dad

Dad,

I was already a teen when we met. You didn't get to watch as I grew up as a child. You didn't get to see my first steps. You didn't get to bandage my scraped knees or brush away a little boy's tears. You didn't get to guide me as I rode a bike for the first time and tell me you had me, that I wasn't going to fall.

You were there as the teen grew into a man. You were there as I took my first steps into a big new world. You were there as I endured the bumps and bruises of an adult in the world. You saw me off on my journey and, in your own way, let me know you had me, that I wasn't going to fall.

In time it became my turn to help with your steps. I stood beside you to be the guiding shoulder you could lean on. It was my turn to be strong for you in a world less steady. The man came home to be the firm arm you could hold. And I always told you I had you, that I wasn't going to let you fall.

You've gone to another world now, Dad, where others are waiting to take you by the hand. And, although I have to watch you go, I know I don't have to fear.

They've got you, Dad. And this time, you're going to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment